Shauna Wears Pink

I will never forget the day my doctor uttered those horrifying words “I am sorry to tell you, but that is a cancer tumor that you have in your left breast”. I was 33 years old, and my life changed forever. I invite you to read my story, learn from it and hopefully be inspired to reach out to other young women living with and beyond breast cancer.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Life goes on


Today is my 35th birthday. I think back at the last year of my life and realize what a different person I am from the women I was a year ago. Yes, this past year has been rough. During the past 12 months I underwent 6 surgeries, 10 chemotherapy treatments, the loss of all my hair and the loss of both my breasts. To top it all off my younger sister went through the same thing. I know that I have not yet processed all that has happened, but I am certain that I will in time. Despite these trials and losses, I am grateful to breast cancer. It made me see the wonderful things in my life clearly for the first time. Before cancer, I felt like I was lost at sea. I had a loving husband, a great career, a healthy baby boy and good friends. However, I did not truly appreciate these things. I took them for granted. Getting cancer makes you realize that you cannot waste another minute of time taking things for granted….because you might not have that many more minutes. I feel like I was given a second chance in life, and I do not plan to waste it. Now I relish the moments I get to spend with my husband and 2 year old son. I soak them in and try to imprint them in my memory forever. Now I practice law, not for the status or money, but because I truly love helping my clients develop their entrepreneurial ideas into growing businesses. Now when I am lucky enough to spend time with friends, I truly appreciate the kindness and generosity of all those friends who have helped sustain me during this last year. And when I have extra time, I spend it trying to help other young breast cancer survivors through the same trials and losses. I tell my story so publicly because I hope that it will make each and everyone one of you pause for a moment and give thanks for all the wonderful things in your life and to promise yourself that you will never take those things for granted. So I am thankful for the last year of my life, and today on my 35th birthday I reaffirm my pledge to make every moment count!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home